8 Most Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is Ear Candling? Ear Candling (or ear coning) is a natural & comfortable way to clean out accumulated wax, especially the heavily impacted wax that normal cleaning cannot remove. It is also believed to remove yeasts, fungus, & remnants of past infections. Ear Candling is not a new alternative therapy. It is an ancient healing method originating in Egypt & dating back to the year 2500 B.C. Candling applies simple laws of science. A dripless, hollow candle tapered at one end is inserted into the ear. The opposite end is set to flame creating a sort of “vacuum” which draws the wax, etc. up into the tapered end of the candle. This “vacuum” is caused by the warmed air from the flame & the colder existing air moving through the hollow chamber of the candle. The movement and compression between the ear canal and the candle chamber generate air flow with increasing velocity, thus producing the “vacuum”. The warmth from the candle helps to soften old impacted earwax.
2. Does Ear Candling hurt? No. It is a painless, harmless, and very relaxing experience. Many people actually fall asleep! Basically, all you will feel is the candle being carefully inserted into your ear. You may also hear some crackling & hissing sounds as the ear wax is being drawn out from within your ear. All you have to do is relax and enjoy your Ear Candling session. If you have excessive hearing loss (or sometimes with an ear infection) you may feel some heat during the session since your feeling (tactile) senses are keener than a person with relatively better hearing. If you should experience some discomfort, you may request that the therapist stop the session briefly, & after a short intermission you can continue with your session again.
3. How long does an Ear Candling session last? About 1 hour, however, allow for 15 minutes extra.
4. How often should I have an Ear Candling session? Two to three sessions have helped most people get their ears clean. Some conditions have taken longer, but we have found that when using Ear Candling while on an internal cleansing program with colonics, it seemed to speed up the process considerably. Once your ears are clean, consider this…many dentists recommend an oral exam and cleaning every 6 months to maintain good oral hygiene. Ears are just as important. An ear candling session every 6 months would certainly be practical & beneficial.
5. Who can benefit from Ear Candling? Ear Candling can benefit almost anyone, from infants to adults. (see above)
6. Who should not have Ear Candling? Ear Candling should not be done to people who have ear tubes, perforated ear drums, or artificial ear drums.
7. What can I expect during the Ear Candling session? During a session, you will lie comfortably on your side with your body in straight alignment. The ear candle is lit & slowly begins to burn. The small tapered end of the candle is then gently placed into your ear canal. The ear candle, by its shape, design & length, will draw ear wax & fungus deposits from deep inside your ear canal.
8. What can I expect after the Ear Candling session? After the candles have burned down, the therapist will cut open the remnants to show you the former contents of your ear canal. It’s amazing what you find in there! Also, you will most likely notice improved hearing because the wax blockage is no longer present in your ears. For a day or two after your ear coning session, you may feel warmth or some itching in your ears. This is easy to resolve. You can relieve the itching by putting a drop of liquid Echinacea or Hydrogen Peroxide in your ears and then gently wiping them out with a cotton swab. You may also notice your sinuses draining, or that sinus drainage increases after your ear candling session. This is beneficial and will relieve the pressure in your sinus areas. If you have had occurrences of sinus headaches, you may experience a decrease in their frequency. Also, you may experience a heightened sense of taste & smell. For the first 24 hours after candling, it is best to protect the ears from wind, cold, and excessive amounts of water (you can use a little cotton in each ear). The normal production of wax will be replaced & again protect the ear within 24 hours.
Ear Candling is NOT a treatment or cure for any disease, condition or ailment & is not a replacement for medical treatment. We believe Ear Candling can have many positive health benefits for you, however, you must be the ultimate judge in determining if this time-honored practice, will be beneficial to you.